How Can I be Compliant?
- Complete Permission for Background Check to authorize Wesley Freedom to conduct a Background Check through an independent company, “Protect My Ministry.” The expense will be covered by the church. We will also accept a Background Check done by the Maryland State Police, at your own expense.
- You will receive an email from Protect My Ministry asking for your information. Respond to the email and submit the information promptly.
- The background check will not include your credit information. It may include any or all of the following:verification of your identity and personal information (including address(es), telephone number, and social security number); information obtained from a criminal record check; information obtained from a State and/or National Sex Offender Registry;
- You will need to provide the background check authorization every five years
Step Two: Get Three References
- Give a copy of this Reference Form to three people who can serve as references for you.
Step Three: Fill out the Laity Questionnaire
- Fill out this 2019 Questionaire.
Step Four: Learn the Safe Sanctuaries Policies and Procedures.
- Watch Safe Sanctuary 2019-2020 Power Point Trainingto learn how to work with children and youth in accordance with Safe Sanctuaries.
- Look over the Safe Sanctuary Procedures 2019-2020 for more details.
Step Five: Prove your Knowledge – Take the Quiz!
- Fill out the Safe Sanctuary Quiz 2019-2020.
- Your application will NOT be complete without the quiz.
Step Six: Sign the Covenant
- Sign the Safe-Sanctuary-Covenant 2019.
Step Seven: RETURN ALL FORMS in HARD COPY to Sherry Perrine in the church office or you may scan and send it email@example.com. This includes five documents (Permission for Background Check, 3 Reference Forms, Laity Questionnaire, Quiz, and Covenant.)
Who will see my information? The Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) of the church is charged with reviewing information obtained during the screening process and with deciding who may and may not work with children and youth. A limited number of staff and/or volunteers may assist the SPRC with these activities. While every effort is made to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive personal information, complete confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
Decisions of the SPRC regarding whether persons may work with children or youth should not be construed as making any value judgment concerning the character, reputation or credibility of the individual who has applied. Decisions of the SPRC can be appealed to the senior pastor, whose decision is final.